Well, we had Austen eat strictly gluten free for a full seven days and then we reintroduced gluten on Sunday. I didn't say a word to him about it, I just let him eat normally. We just wanted to see if we could tell a difference because he had been fine for the week.....no stomach aches or anything. By 2:30 Sunday afternoon he started saying his stomach hurt and by 8:30 that evening he was crying and saying he needed to throw up. He fell asleep on the couch with his head in a bowl. It was so sad! I felt awful for him, but at least now we know without a doubt he can not have gluten. The last two months finally make sense. This explains the break in the vomiting episodes....he would throw up, feel better and then a day or two later start throwing up again. I was baffled, but now I see that once he started feeling better I was feeding him toast and crackers which was making him sick again. I mourned his normalcy for a day and then I realized that it's not THAT bad. He is young enough that he won't even know any different and luckily going gluten free seems to be a fad diet these days which makes finding stuff he can eat a lot easier. Things are labeled really well, there are tons of apps/internet resources, and grocery stores have whole sections of strictly gluten free foods. I am about to become a gluten free expert! Luckily we know the problem and we can stop the tummy aches. As much as this sucks, I am grateful that it's not something more serious because for while there I was really worried it was something awful.
Poor guy, even the dog felt bad for him. By the morning he was fine and he's a whole new kid on his special diet.
No comments:
Post a Comment