July 25, 2009

I'm No Longer Enough!

It's finally happened....Austen has moved on to real food. I'm still breastfeeding of course, but it's not enough. I am sad, but at the same time I know he's ready and I need sleep! He stopped sleeping through the night because he was getting too hungry, so I knew it was time for rice cereal. I waited a week longer than I should have, but I really wanted Brian to be there to see it and also to document it. The following pictures are thanks to him because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to take pictures while trying to coax Austen into opening his mouth and holding down his arms all at the same time.
At first he wasn't sure about what was in his mouth and would only swallow it because he didn't know what else to do with it. He made some very funny, confused looking faces! He also didn't really get that he should open his mouth for the spoon. The only way he has ever eaten isby sucking, so he would put his mouth up to the spoon and then suck. It was very cute.
Brian wasn't expecting it to be this messy.








Afterwards he was really happy. I think he forgot what it felt like to be really full. He only stayed awake for about 20 min and then he was out.

He's been on the rice cereal for about a week now and he has really started to get the hang of the whole eating thing. He's been thinking it's quite funny to get the food in his mouth and then spit it everywhere, so we still have some work to do, but all in all he's been doing good. I haven't gotten to sleep for the whole night yet though becuase we are still on once a day feedings, but I am looking forward to the day when I can get him really full before bed and sleep for 10 hours! (I doubt that will happen, but I can hope!)





No comments:

Post a Comment